This post is re-printed with permission by my main squeeze and ultra-talented super Chef, Christian Bates. It’s been such a popular recipe that I had to get it on my blog to be shared with you! In Joy~
My RAW Superfood Pumpkin Pie recipe was created to do 3 fold:
1. Taste absolutely knock-your-toe-socks-off incredible! (Such a BRIGHT pumpkin flavor and classic pastry-like crust)
2. Contain Superfoods, which means that the more of this dessert you eat, the more therapeutic concentrations of minerals and nutrients you get!
3. Be a low glycemic dessert! (The raw pumpkin pulp is said to be medium glycemic, but all other ingredients are very low: no dates, bananas or high-sugar sweeteners. As a side note, I am currently researching WILD pumpkins to discover the origin of our favorite holiday cultivar.)
Make my pie to top off a holiday dinner with friends, family, your date, or your very own fly self!
NOTE: This recipe makes a 6″ pie. Double to make an 8″ pie or triple to make a big 10″ pie.
First, make the crust:
– 2 cups raw macadamia nuts
– 2 1/4 tablespoons Peruvian sweet potato powder (This delicious powder is available at many Whole Foods Markets and online)
– 1 tablespoon birch xylitol (you can substitute with a medium-glycemic powdered (not a syrup) sweetener like coconut sugar or maple sugar)
– 2 teaspoons raw cacao butter
– 1 teaspoon maca powder
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Blend in a food processor for about a minute until it becomes a paste-like consistency. DON’T over blend into a soft butter. Mold the “dough” into a 6″ pie pan (or a small plate will do just find) and make the rim tall and rippled using you fingers. Set aside and then make the pumpkin cream:
– 3 cups diced pumpkin (cut a pumpkin in half, scoop out the inside with a large spoon and slice off the skin with a knife, then chop the inner flesh into cubes and pack into 3 cups)
– 1/2 cup young coconut meat
– 2 1/2 tablespoons birch xylitol (You can substitute with just about any other sweetener, but birch xylitol is the only very low glycemic one available)
– 2 teaspoons macadamia nut butter (you can always make this yourself by putting macadamia nuts in the food processor for several minutes)
– 1/4 teaspoon NOW brand organic stevia extract powder, or to taste (always start with less)
– 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (freshly micro-planed/zest-gratered sticks or powder)
– 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
– 2 small pinches freshly ground nutmeg (It is always best to buy dried whole herbs and grind them yourself using a micro-plane/zester, especially with the delicate nutmeg nuance)
– 2 small pinches wildcrafted vanilla bean powder
– small pinch freshly crushed clove bud (Buy dried whole cloves and take the bud (round part) off of the stem (twiggy part), grind it with your fingers and use about half the bud in this recipe)
– small pinch micro-planed fresh ginger
Pumpkin Pie in the Works
Blend on high in a Vita-Mix using the tamper to keep the ingredients caught in the blade. Continue blending for at least 3 minutes until warm and creamy. Spatula out the entire pumpkin cream recipe into the pie crust. Since it is warm, you may serve immediately or place in the dehydrator for up to several hours.
Have the best holiday dessert experience ever! Happy Holidays!
If you’d like more of Christian’s epic recipes, check out Superfood Beauty Elixirs, the book we co-wrote together in October 2010 with a foreword by David Avocado Wolfe!
Did you like this? Share it: